Monday, November 07, 2005

What I Believe About Origins

Since there has been some request for this, I will lay forth the extent of my convictions regarding the origin of our world. I feel, though, that in part doing so now is putting the cart before the horse, so to speak, and therefore I share my views only after this exhortation. Origins is a hotly contested topic, and it is often a make-or-break view to hold. As such, I sense the temptation arising to first hear the particulars of my view, compare it against the particulars of your own views, evaluate how closely the two are in agreement, and afterwards attribute me credence in proportion to my agreement with you on this one issue. Put simply, if I make a claim about how we came to be, and you think it's preposterous to even think that way, you will call me crazy and assume everything else I say is crazy, too. This is common practice, and often the principle holds true, but I claim it is not always that simple, and I request that you hear me out even so.

What do I believe? I believe the Bible is inerrant as originally written, and I furthermore believe that the Bible as we have it is close enough to its original writing to be relied upon. Inerrancy means that it is true and free from error in its primary purposes--to demonstrate the character of God and His relationship to His world--and in its secondary purposes, including describing historical events. Therefore, anything which God's Word says is true must be, and any claim which contradicts His Words must be false.

We begin with Genesis 1, which says that God created the heavens and the earth. Right away we see that the world is a creation of God's, and is therefore subject to Him. It came into being, it is temporal, it is finite, it is not eternal, it is not co-existent with God, and furthermore it is not the same as God. The account goes on to describe how features of the world were created, and five evenings and mornings occurred between them, and after the sixth evening and morning we are told God rested from His work. Many claim that the use of days is figurative in this passage, and could actually refer to eons; the use of the word, not to mention the emphasis placed on evenings and mornings, seems to rule out this possibility from critical analysis. Many claim that the whole passage is figurative, such as the poetry found elsewhere in the Bible. There is poetry in the Bible which should be read as poetry; if you compare this passage with other poetry, you see that they are not at all the same in style. The Genesis account is written much like the history accounts. So yes, I hold to six-day creationism.

I am a little less concerned about the particular age of the world, that is, the amount of time spanning between the beginning of history and now. Whether God created the world or the world created itself has incredible theological and philosophical consequences which cannot be taken lightly. A couple thousand years, on the other hand, don't add up to that much. From what I understand, the estimate of 6,000 years was derived from genuine Biblical scholarship, and for that I tend to prefer that estimate.

As was hinted, I hold that God is eternal, and by eternal I mean not only that which is without beginning nor end, but that which is atemporal: God does not flow with time, as we do, but transcends time itself. In the act of creation, God created time itself with a definite, historical beginning. The created world is finite, and God alone is infinite. The finite is separate from the infinite--not to say that they have no communion between them, but they are not the same essence.

When humankind was created, we were created in the image of God, possessing many His qualities in a finite instantiation. We were without sin but not incapable of sin, with the freedom to choose either dependence upon our Creator or rebellion against Him. Having chosen to assert our own authority over our lives, we became enslaved to this decision, and thus humanity is fully separated from God.

While this is probably not the "scientific" beliefs you were expecting to hear, I nevertheless consider these truths to be of the utmost importance in understanding ourselves and the world around us.

Returning to "scientific" beliefs, some time following all of this, God caused a great flood to cover the earth. Now, there has been not a little speculation about the nature of the earth prior to man's fall, between the fall and this flood, and following the flood. I suspend judgment on much of these details. However, I will say that this flood was a catastrophe the likes of which was never seen before or since, and would naturally cause great changes to the earth. Regarding the ark which Noah was commanded to build and fill with the creatures of the earth, it seems reasonable to suspect that Noah brought on board a pair from every high-level classification of animals, and from these the mechanisms of speciation have produced the diversity we find today. As for the dinosaurs, a lot could be explained by simply claiming, "They were not permitted on the ark and so became extinct in the floodwaters." There is no indication of this at all, so we are led to believe that the extinction must have happened either prior to the flood or after it, but not as a result of it.

I am sure you will not be satisfied with the account I have laid forth. However, as I said at first, I did not want to lay all of this out all at once at this time.

10 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 08, 2005 11:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul!
There's a creationism related issue that seems inconsistent between the creationism related websites that I have visited!
Did the continents ever move or not?!
Were the continents connected a long time ago?!
One creationism website said plate tectonics is a bad bad idea, but then another creationism website seemed to think that plate tectonics is fine.
What does Paul say regarding this issue?!

 
At Tuesday, November 08, 2005 11:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul!
Regarding your idea of Noah bringing high-level classification animals onto his boat, I remember at least one creationist website strongly oppose such an idea, because for something like that to happen, the animals would have to evolve after they disembark from the ark, and since evolving is bad, Noah surely must have brought every single individual species of animals onto the ark!

 
At Wednesday, November 09, 2005 12:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, Paul...
Are you suggesting that Noah brought one pair of birds onto the Ark, and then from that one pair of birds we get moas and kiwis and robins and ground-rollers and puffkins and diatrymas and auks and ostriches and stuff?!

 
At Friday, November 11, 2005 2:53:00 PM, Blogger Paul Canup said...

Plate tectonics! I knew I was forgetting something! The first question that is probably coming to mind is this: why does one group say that plate tectonics or evolution is a bad, bad thing, and another says it is OK? Well, depending on the issue in question, there could be a variety of reasons for this disparity.

In this case, I suspect the problem is that those who say, "No, no, those are very bad, bad things!" are jumping to a few too many conclusions about the things in question. When anyone talks about an Old-Earth model of the universe, it is commonly supported by such concepts as evolution and plate tectonics. Since an Old-Earth model is considered bad, it is reasoned therefore that evolution and plate tectonics must be bad as well. This is faulty reasoning. As I've already said once before, I don't hold to macro-evolution and the idea that all living things came from one living thing over many ages, but I'm open to micro-evolution, and it is reasonable to explain speciation over a comparitively shorter span of time. Only macro-evolution is completley inconsistent with a Young-Earth model.

Plate tectonics has a similar problem. Most discussions about it assume an Old-Earth model, and many of the interesting things plate tectonics has to say require an Old-Earth model. It seems that plate tectonics implies an old earth, and that is why it would be bad. However, this need not be the case; I've recently seen some things conjectured as to the effect the Flood may have had on plate tectonics. I haven't investigated this too deeply, but it's an interesting consideration.

I don't claim that I've got a perfect answer to all of these things. That's why I didn't even go into any great detail about plate tectonics. As for the speciation of birds following the Flood, my answer is "maybe". Maybe there were several varieties, which then diversified further. I will say this: there are a LOT of species of birds today. We are told the dimensions of Noah's ark, and I don't think it could physically hold two of every single species of every bird that is in existence today. Something had to happen.

 
At Monday, November 28, 2005 10:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Paul!
Are stars actually a lot closer to planet Earth than everyone on Earth thinks they are?!
Since the universe is 6000 years old, that means that all the stars in the night sky are less than 6000 lightyears away, right?!
Otherwise, we wouldn't even see the stars, right Paul?!

 
At Monday, November 28, 2005 10:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or maybe GOD created the stars with their light already emitted into the journey towards Earth!
The light never originated from the stars!
The light was already in the process of traveling through space at the very moment that it came into being!

 
At Monday, November 28, 2005 11:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does Paul think regarding this star-distance issue?!
We are all anticipating the opinions of Paul!

 
At Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon, Paul.
As the future face of the modern Creationist movement, surely you have an opinion about starlight!

You did say that the entirety of modern Science is built upon mistakes, right super-Paul?!
Maybe the speed of light is actually faster than every physicist on Earth thinks it is!

 
At Friday, December 23, 2005 9:00:00 PM, Blogger John Jackson said...

Nam, Paul understandably isn't going to have all of the answers. None of us are. However, that doesn't mean that he, you, and I can't trust the Bible. In regards to the "days" of creation, I have examined the evidence in support of an old earth view of creation in the Bible, and I find it lacking. Some have (largely in an effort to make scripture compatable with modern science) tried to allege that the "days" of creation were something more than literal days,perhaps thousands, millions, or even billions of years, but in doing so, they not only ignore consideration of scriptural guidelines, (afterall, when the Hebrew word for day "yom" is used, it is almost never anything but a 24 hour period, and when, as it is in Genesis, it is added with "and then there was morning, and then there was evening", it is never anything but a 24 hour period)they arguably also render those "days" meaningless. (afterall, if those days could mean anything, do they not in the end mean nothing?)
To try and answer your question though about the stars, I can only say that since I believe that God created Adam and Eve as adults, perhaps He created the stars as "adults" as well. I cannot say, but I will say this. From my standpoint, I believe that the Bible is the innerant, infallible revelation of God, but those who oppose it only have their imperfect minds to work from, so, the burden of proof is not on me, the believer, it is on you, the unbeliever to show me how what I believe is false, and how we can have any kind of order whatsoever apart from the God of the Bible. I do not believe though that you can do this, because I believe that all facts are Gods facts. I say this though hoping that it will lead you towards the solid ground of the God of the Bible.

 
At Friday, December 23, 2005 10:12:00 PM, Blogger Paul Canup said...

I certainly do not have all of the answers, and I have tried repeatedly to make that as clear as possible. If you believe that I consider myself somehow "superhuman," knowing more than the average person, then you have gravely misunderstood me. It is only by the grace of God that I know anything truly, and as far as all of these scientific details go, I am very skeptical that I know them truly. My desire is to show that these details are neither nothing nor everything; that is, they are not irrelevant or unimportant, but neither are they of first importance.

You may be interested to see that at this website there is a section entitled "How can we see light from stars millions of light years away?" that addresses and attempts to answer your very question. It is fascinating and something to consider. I am not absolutely certain any of these are THE answer; after all, I only just discovered this. There are several points I will highlight. I am led to assume that the purpose of such questions, as John suggested, is to try to discredit me or this system of origins or both because neither of us are able to produce a satisfactory answer to your question. What is taken for granted is that, as this article reminds us, is that the supposedly better system of origins is not without its own holes, even on the exact same points which are used to discredit mine. In such cases, the question is moot, because no one has a satisfactory answer at hand.

Secondly, I unabashedly maintain the primacy and veracity of God's Word. We read that on the first day of creation, "God said, "Let there be light," and there was light." Not until the fourth day do we read of stars being made. I am led to conclude, then, that, at least in the days of creation, there was light without stars to emit it. What this signifies in our current understanding of light and stars I cannot tell you, but maybe one day we will be closer to knowing.

To address John's suggestion, it does seem reasonable that stars would be created in an "adult" stage, already formed rather than in the process of forming. However, this does not really address the question of the light already arriving from these stars. Those articles I link to are aware that light from stars carry some information about the star. If the light is created in transit, it is almost as though the light were created carrying information about a past that never happened, which seems out of step with the character of God. It is on this final basis that I am inclined against this hypothesis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home